Little Ilford District
Nearest Tube: Leyton
This district of east London lies on the very outskirts of London, just to the east of Upton. Originally simply known as Ilford, the name means "ford over the Hile", Hile being the original name for the River Roding.
Throughout much of its history Ilford was a remote rural hamlet - as recently as 1801 there were less than 100 residents. Development first began in the 1860s and within 30 years much of the district had been covered with housing.
At around the same time part of the district of Barking was re-named Ilford and so this original district of Ilford became known as Little Ilford. It is also sometimes referred to as Manor Park district.
The district is still mainly residential and is now part of the London borough of East Ham.
Copyright © 1995 to 2016 Smooth Hound Systems
Smooth Hound Systems accepts no liability with regards to the accuracy of the information on this site.
Users are advised to double check information such as dates, times, prices etc.