The English town of Broughton is located in the Cumbria district of Allerdale. The town of Allerdale is also a civil parish. The civil parish of Broughton also includes areas such as Little Broughton and Great Broughton. The civil parish is located on the banks of the River Derwent about six miles to the east of Workington. The town of Broughton has an estimated population of two thousand.
The town of Broughton is located within the southern part of the national park, which is known as the Lake District. The town of Broughton serves a vast rural community, which is mainly made up of hill farmers. The town is surrounded on three sides by terraced houses, which mainly date back to the Georgian times and about the eighteenth century.
The town of Broughton was once a very popular market place for cattle, baskets, coppice wood based products, oak baskets and wool to name a few things.
The town of Broughton has always been a popular strategic site as it is located at the point where the River Duddon comes into the estuary. In the past the Celts, Romans and also the Vikings used it as a bit for jumping off the boats in an attempt to raid the settlement. The name Broughton is thought to come from the old English word, which means stronghold.
The town of Broughton is located close to the Scottish Border and this area was also prey to the raids from Scotland. A Pele tower was built in 1322 by the Broughton family and built it for defence purposes.