Located in Cumbria, near the Lake District, Brampton is a traditional market town. Although the town's proximity to the Lake District is the main attraction of Brampton, there are also other things to see and do while in Brampton. Visitors should be sure to see the moot hall as well as the Capon Tree Monument. St. Martin's Church is definitely a must see while in town, particularly the lovely stained glass windows, for which the church is well known. Visitors should also make sure that they visit Hadrian's Wall while in Brampton. There is also an antiques gallery in town.
Brampton is a small English market town located within the area of Cumbria. The town was founded within the 7th century and it is about nine miles to the east of Carlisle. The town is about two miles south of Hadrian's Wall.
The town of Brampton is located next to the A69 road. The railway station for Brampton is about a mile outside the town. The railway station is located on the main Carlisle and Newcastle line.
St Martins church that is located within the town is famous for being the only church that was designed by the Pre-Raphaelite architect that was called Philip Webb. The church contains stained glass windows that are amongst the most exquisite and Sir Edward Burne-Jones designed these and the studio of William Morris produced them.
The Roman structure of Hadrian's Wall is located slightly to the north of Brampton. When the structure was first built the town to the eastern side was under construction. The town of Brampton was built in the seventh century AD.
In 1745 during the Jacobite Rising the town was used as a stop over point for Bonnie Prince Charlie. This historic event is captured within a plaque that is located on the wall of the relevant building which at present is actually a shoe shop.
In 1746 the Capon Tree Monument that is located just outside the centre of the town was the venue for the handing of six supporters of Bonnie Prince Charlie. In 1817 the earl of Carlisle constructed the octagonal Moot Hall, which is located in the centre of Brampton, and this now houses the Tourist Information Centre.