Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, SW1
Nearest Tube: St James's Park
This site, just south of St James's Park, has been the location of a military chapel since 1838. The first chapel was called the Royal Military Chapel and was built after Dr William Dakins, Chaplain to the Brigade of Guards, suggested that the troops have a separate place of worship of their own.
In June 1944, the chapel was damaged by a German bomb and more than 100 worshipers lost their lives. The legend goes that while the church collapsed and people lay dying, the candles on the undamaged altar kept burning. The silver candlesticks that held the candles, which were originally a gift from George VI (1820-30), are now in the present chapel.
The current building was constructed to replace the damaged chapel and was finished in 1963. Nearby is the Guards Museum.
Copyright © 1995 to 2016 Smooth Hound Systems
Smooth Hound Systems accepts no liability with regards to the accuracy of the information on this site.
Users are advised to double check information such as dates, times, prices etc.