This district of east London is situated just to the north of Walthamstow. The area was originally marshland and the name is derived from the Saxon settlement that was once located here.
The area was soon a popular hunting area - in particular it was a favourite hunting area for Henry VIII (1509-47) who initiated forest clearance in much of the district.
During this time the area was predominantly rural and had lots of dairy farms interspersed with small villages. This didn't change much until the 19th century when industrialisation reached the district.
The Great Eastern Railway reached the area in the 1870's and development soon followed. The 1878 Epping Forest Act ensured that 300 acres were preserved as parkland, but housing soon spread over the rest of the district.
Chingford is still predominantly residential and in 1965 it became part of the borough of Waltham Forrest.
Copyright © 1995 to 2016 Smooth Hound Systems
Smooth Hound Systems accepts no liability with regards to the accuracy of the information on this site.
Users are advised to double check information such as dates, times, prices etc.