Nearest Tube: Bow Church
Bow is one of London's East End districts and is situated just to the north-east of Bethnal Green. The name is said to have come from the bow shaped bridge that was first built here in the 12th century. The bridge has been rebuilt numerous times over the years, but you can still see it today.
The main river running through the district is the River Lea, and this was used to bring grain and other goods to London. As a result the area soon had an extensive milling industry and by the 18th century the district was also associated with printing and dyeing industries.
But perhaps the most famous industry to be associated with the district was ceramics. In fact the blue and white porcelain that was made in the region became known as Bow china.
Nevertheless beyond the banks of the river Bow was still a predominantly rural area and it wasn't until the industrialisation of the 19th century that the area was extensively developed.
Once industrialisation had reached Bow expansion was rapid. Numerous factories were set up along the river and the district also became home to thousands of workers.
One of the most famous incidents in the area's history involved the Bryant and May match factory in 1875. The factory employed over 5,000 workers and in 1875 they held a successful strike demanding better working conditions. This incident has gone down in trade union history and is known as the "match-girls' strike".
Today the district is largely residential. It is also home to the Ragged School Museum, which details the lives of London's past East End residents.
Copyright © 1995 to 2016 Smooth Hound Systems
Smooth Hound Systems accepts no liability with regards to the accuracy of the information on this site.
Users are advised to double check information such as dates, times, prices etc.