Stone, located in Staffordshire, is a traditional market town that is situated not far from Stafford. Visitors will discover there is plenty to see and enjoy in Stone as well as in the surrounding area. There are several quaint shops that are worth exploring while in the local area, in addition to a variety of different eateries and dining establishments. In addition, there are plenty of accommodation options for visitors who would like to spend a day or two in the area. Stone can be easily accessed from surrounding areas.
The English market town of Stone is located within the area of Staffordshire. The town of Stone is located about seven miles to the north of Stafford and about seven miles south of the city of Stoke on Trent. Stone is the second largest town within the borough of Stafford with the biggest town actually being Stafford. The town of Stone has over the years given its name to both a rural district and a district council however in 1974 Stone became part of the borough.
During 1251 the town of Stone was granted market charter by Henry the third. The urban district of Stone was based on the civil parish of Stone. The district was abolished in 1972 under the local government act. The replacement town council of Stone is part of the borough council of Stafford.
The town of Stone is located within the valley of the River Trent. The town was once an important stopping place for coaches during the eighteenth century.
Towards the southern part of the town is the parish church that is dedicated to the archangel that was known as St Michael. The church is located on a site that was once a Stone Priory. The church was started in 1753 and it was completed in 1758. The clock tower was a later addition and it was added in 1896.
There is another church in the northern part of the town that is Christ Church and this church was built in 1839.