Retford is situated in Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands. The town is located just 31 miles from Nottingham and is situated in the River Idle Valley. There are numerous landmarks in town worth visiting, including the Market Square which features a Victorian Town Hall. Across from Market Square, visitors will find Cannon Square with St. Swithun's Church as well as a Russian cannon that was captured during the Siege of Sevastopol in the Crimean War. Visitors will find there are ample restaurants and shops in the local area and that it is easy to reach from other towns.
Retford is a small English market town that is located within Nottinghamshire area that is in the East Midlands. The town of Retford is located about thirty one miles from the country town of Nottingham that is within the district of Bassetlaw. The town of Retford is located within the valley of the River Idle and this runs through the centre of the town.
Within the market town of Retford there is a lovely ornate Victorian town hall that is inspired by the French. The Broad stone is located in front of the town hall. There is a legend that says that the broad stone had a hollow in it that was once filled with vinegar and during the time of the plaque this vinegar was used for disinfecting coins.
There is a war memorial located in the Market Square of the town and this was unveiled in 1912 by Sir Fredrick Milner. The memorial is designed to represent an Eleanor cross which is an octagonal structure from the late gothic designs.
The memorial includes a list of the men that were killed between 1914 and 1918 and this list makes up the lower eight panels. The memorial also includes a list of the men that were killed during 1939 and 1945 and these lists make up the bronze plaques.
Cannon square is located across from Market Square and St Swithun's church is located in this square. The Victorian crosses are produced from the metal that was taken from a cannon that was captured during the Siege of Sevastopol, which happened towards the end of the Crimean War in 1855.