Located in the Scottish Highlands, Oban is often considered to be the gateway to the isles. Visitors will find plenty to see and do while in Oban as well as being able to enjoy a host of shopping and dining options. Oban is also known as the drinking capital of the northwest as it is home to an excellent brand of whiskey that has the same name. Oban Distillery is one of the top tourist attractions in the local area. Other sites to see include McCaig's Tower, Dunollie Castle and Dunstaffnage Castle. Ferries run to Oban on a regular basis.
Oban is a seaside resort in Argyll and Bute on the western coast of Scotland. It is a popular tourist destination and the town is located in a horseshoe shaped bay, making for a very picturesque location. The town was home to the first Transatlantic telephone cable which linked it to Newfoundland and had what was seen at the time as a massive 36 telephone channels across the ocean, including the "hot line" between the American and Russian presidents of the day.
The Oban Distillery is a Scottish whisky distillery and is one of the smallest such distilleries in Scotland. The building looks out to the sea and is open for tours and samples for most of the year.
McCaig's Tower is unmissable and looks out over the town from nearby Battery Hill. It was built in the late 1800's and currently the building itself is an empty shell surrounded by public gardens. On a clear day, the view from these gardens stretches out to a number of Scottish islands, including Mull.
There are two castles overlooking the town of Oban of which Dunstaffnage Castle is the better preserved. It is one of Scotland's oldest stone castles, dating back to the thirteenth century. Most of the building is open to the public although the gatehouse is still the private property of the Captain of Dunstaffnage. The other castle is Dunollie, which lies to the north of the town but little remains of it apart from the views and an ivy covered tower. The other main tourist attraction in Oban is St Columba's Cathedral, which was constructed in the mid 1900's.