Newton Stewart is situated in Dumfries and Galloway in Southern Scotland. The town is located near the River Cree and offers gorgeous scenery, particularly the hills that are located nearby. The town itself was founded in the mid-17th century. Newton Stewart is commonly well known as the Gateway to the Galloway Hills. The town is a bustling market town that attracts many from the surrounding area. Visitors will find there are numerous shops and eateries in Newton Stewart to enjoy. There are also many accommodation options in Newton Stewart as well as the surrounding area.
Newton Stewart is a town that is located in the southern part of Scotland. The town is located within the county of Wigtownshire in the western area of Dumfries and Galloway.
The town of Newtown Stewart is located along the shores of River Cree and most of Newtown Stewart is located on the rivers western side. The town is located within the administrative area of Machars. Machars is an area within Dumfries and Galloway.
During the middle part of the seventeenth century William Stewart founded the town. William Stewart was the son of the earl of Galloway the second and William was the youngest son.
King Charles the second granted what was then New Town of Stewart burgh status and this allowed the town to have two annual fairs and a weekly market.
The town was part of a pilgrimage in 1329 to the St Ninians shrine that is located at Whithorn. Where the bridge stands over the river is the bit at which Robert the Bruce crossed the river. The bridge was built during 1813 after the floods destroyed the original bridge in 1806. The original bridge was built in 1745.
The village of Blackcraigs that is near the town was once a major centre for lead mining. Granite was taken from this area and it was used to construct most of the major docksides throughout Britain.
The town of Newton Stewart is often referred to as the Gateway to the Galloway Hills. The town is classed as the main market town within the eastern part of Wigtownshire.