Kingsbridge is located in Devon. This traditional market town is popular as a tourist attraction. The town itself was formed around a bridge which dates back to at least the 10th century. During the 13th century a market was established in the area, which led to greater development of the area. Visitors will find the town is easy to reach from other towns in the immediate area. There are numerous shops and restaurants located in Kingsbridge and the surrounding area. In addition, visitors will be able to take advantage of a variety of accommodation options in the area.
The Devon town of Kingsbridge is located within the district of South Hams. The town of Kingsbridge has a population of about five thousand eight hundred. The town is located within the northern end of the estuary of Kingsbridge.
The town was originally formed around a bridge, which dated back to the tenth century. The bridge was located between the estates of Chillington to the east and Alvington to the west.
During 1219 the Abbot of Buckfast was given permission to hold a market within the town. By 1238 the town had been granted borough status.
The town of Kingsbridge is actually the combination of two towns that are Dodbrooke and Kingsbridge. The town of Dodbrooke was given permission to have its market during 1257 and this area had become a borough by 1319. Despite Dodbrooke originally being classed as the more dominant of the two areas it is Kingsbridge that later expanded to include it.
The town of Kingsbridge has been the primary market town within the area for many centuries. The town is located within the area of South Devon and it is within the area that is known for its outstanding beauty. The town has close proximity to its splendid south Devon coast and sailing venues for example Salcombe.
The town of Knightsbridge is a very popular tourist location. The town has a vast number of things to offer including several different pubs and restaurants, a cinema built in the building that was once the town hall. There is also a museum that is devoted to the chemist William Cookworthy, he was born in the town in 1705.