Helensburgh is located in Argyll and Bute on the north shore, near Gare Loch. Today the town is well known as a community area for Glasgow. Visitors will find the area offers a number of shopping areas. The seaside area is also a strong attraction for tourists, offering an esplanade, indoor swimming pool and sailing facilities. There are also numerous restaurants and eateries as well as accommodations located in the immediate area. Three railway stations serve the Helensburgh area, making it easy to access the area from other towns.
The Scottish town of Helensburgh is located in Argyll and Bute. The town of Helensburgh was once a Scottish burgh. The town of Helensburgh is located on the northern shores of the Firth of Clyde and it is also located on the eastern shores of the gateway to the Gare Loch. The town of Helensburgh was once located within the district of Dumbarton however it was reclaimed during 1995 by the reorganisation plans of the local government. Before 1975 the town was part of Dunbartonshire.
Sir Ian Colquhoun who was from Luss founded the town of Helensburgh during 1776 and he also built the spa baths that are located opposite Ardencaple Castle. Ardencaple castle dates back to the 1600's.
The town of Helensburgh is a seaside resort. It was constructed to the eastern side of the spa on a formal styled layout of the New Town of Edinburgh and he named it after his wife who was called Helen.
There is a regular ferry service that operates across the Firth of Forth and runs to and from Greenock. The ferry route was ideal for attracting people to live in the town as this meant that they were able to commute from their beautiful homes in the town to their work. The house prices in the town are amongst the highest prices in Scotland. The town has a very extensive naval base, which is known as Faslane, this location is home to the nuclear deterrent fleet that belongs to Britain and is made up of Vanguard submarines.