The Scottish village of Fort Augustus is located within the Scottish Highlands. The village of Fort Augustus is located south west of the area that is known as Loch Ness. The village of Fort Augustus has a population of about six hundred and forty six. The economy of the village of Fort Augustus is very mush reliant on tourism.
Up until the early part of the eighteenth century the village was known as Kiliwhimin. The village is known in the Gaelic language as Cill Chuimein. The village was renamed Fort Augustus following the Jacobite Rising of 1715 which was actually unsuccessful. The village is thought to have originally named after the Saint Cummein who was from Iona as they had built a church within the village.
Following the Jacobite uprising that took part in 1715 a fort was built within the village by General wade. The fort was named after the Duke from Cumberland. Over the years the settlement has grown up around the fort and the village took its name from the fort. During April 1745 the Jacobites captured the fort and this happened just prior to the Battle that place at Culloden.
During 1867 the fort was sold to the Lovat family who later in 1876 passed the fort into the hands of the Benedictine order. From the fort the monks set up what went on to be known as the Abbey of Fort Augustus and later they constructed a school. The site of the fort was completely abandoned in 1998.
Prior to the site being abandoned Terry Nutkins who also owned the hotel, which was known as Lovat Arms, owned it. This hotel was located on the site, which was once the site of he old barrack. These barracks were one of four within the area and they were built on 1718.