Church Stretton is located in Shropshire approximately 21 kilometers south of Shrewsbury. The area has been permanently settled since the Iron Age. At that time a hill fort was constructed on nearby Caer Caradoc Hill. During the Victorian period the town came to be known as Little Switzerland because of the surrounding hilly terrain. Visitors to the area will find much to see and enjoy, particularly if they enjoy archery, as the town is well known for the sport. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants located in the immediate area. In addition, there are ample accommodations in Church Stretton and the immediate vicinity.
Church Stretton is a tiny English town that is located within the county of southern Shropshire. The town is located about thirteen miles to the south of the area of Shrewsbury. The town of Church Stretton has a population of about four thousand one hundred and eighty six.
The town dates back to the Iron Ages and during this time a hillfort was built on the hill that is known as Caer Caradoc. During the Victorian and Edwardian times the town was given the nickname of Little Switzerland and this was due to the terrain in the town being so hilly.
The geology in the local area is very complex and the area incorporates some of England's oldest rocks.
The major employers within the local area include the plant for bottling water, the tourist trade and also polymer laboratories. The town is the centre for the sport of archery.
There has been people living in the area that is known as the Stretton gap for thousands of years. The name Stretton is taken from straet, which is an old English word, that means Roman Road, the word tun that means settlement.
In 1214 the town was granted status as a market charter by King John and there is still to this day a market held every Thursday within the town. A lot of the town was destroyed by a fare in 1953 and a lot of the building that exist that are half made of timber date back to this time.
The town of Church Stretton is located within the South Shropshire boundary. A massive Long Mynd mastiff dominates the town and this provides the town with both the views and the water that the economy of the town is based around.