Chipping Campden is located in Gloucestershire and is most well known for its High Street, which dates as far back as the 14th century. During the middle Ages, Chipping Campden was a successful wool trading centre. Today, this area is popular as a tourist destination and offers a variety of inns, hotels, restaurants and specialty shops to the many visitors that make their way through Chipping Campden. The High Street, in particular, offers a host of shops to frequent as well as interesting architecture that is definitely worth seeing. Market Hall can be easily identified by its arches, which date back to 1627.
Chipping Campden is a small market town that is located within the district of the Cotswolds. The district of Cotswolds is located within Gloucestershire. This town is very well known for its elegant terraced high street that dates back to between the fourteenth and seventeenth century.
During the Middle Ages this area was a popular place for the trading of wool. Chipping Campden is still enjoying the wealth from the wool merchants. Nowadays the town of chipping Campden is a very popular tourist area and one of the reasons for this the vast number of old style inns and hotels. The area also has a lot of restaurants and specialist shops. The High Street is lined with colourful buildings that get their rich honey colour from the material that they are built from as they are made from quarried Cotswold stone. The town has a wide range of fabulous architecture and the centre of this architecture is the Market Hall that was built in 1627.
Other attractions within the town are the early perpendicular wool church, which is known as St James. The town also has a range of monuments that date back to the seventeenth century some of which are a tribute to Sir Baptist Hicks and his family. Sir Baptist Hicks was a wealthy silk merchant and was responsible for Campden House. He demolished the house through fire during the English Civil War in order to prevent it falling into the hands of the parliamentarians.
The Court Barn that is located near the church has now been opened as a museum that celebrates the arts and crafts and the traditions of the local area.