Bromley, located in Greater London, is situated about 15 kilometers south east of Charring Cross. Historically, Bromley was located in the county of Kent prior to Greater London being created in 1965. Interestingly, the Prime Meridian actually crosses Bromley. Bromley has been home to a number of notable residents, including H.G. Wells, who was born there in 1866. There are numerous eateries and shops in town to enjoy. In addition, visitors will find there is a good selection of accommodation options in Bromley as well as in the surrounding area. Bromley can be easily reached from nearby towns and villages.
The English town of Bromley is located about nine miles to the east of Charing Cross. The area that is known as Bromley is the centre for administration for the London borough that is known as Bromley. The name of the town is taken from the Old English language and it means broom hill and records show that the town was once known as Bramelewe and these records date back to 1272.
The historic centre of the town is the area that is known as Market Square and this is located at the junction where Church Road meets the High Street. Church Road is home to St Peters Parish Church and also St Paul's Parish Church.
The most spectacular historic building within the town of Bromley is Bromley College and it is located on the area that is known as London Road. There are some mature and well maintained public areas and these are known as Martins Hills, Church House Gardens, Queens Gardens and also College Green to name a few.
The town of Bromley is home to a big retail and shopping area and this includes a High Street that is pedestrianised and also the shopping centre that is known as The Glades. The town of Bromley is one of the main metropolitan areas within the city of London. The town of Bromley has a number of schools and is also home to a college for higher and further education.
Over the years there has been a number of famous people within the town and these include the novelist H G Wells who wrote War of Worlds. H G Well was born within the town during 1866 and he was honoured within the town in August 2005.