Tain is located in Highland in Scotland. The town is located on the A9, making it easy to reach from other areas, including southern portions of Scotland. Tain dates back to 1066, when it was granted its first royal charter. In 1996, the Rose Garden was opened to commemorate that event. There are a variety of different attractions to be enjoyed in the immediate area as well as numerous shops and eateries as well. In addition, visitors to the local area will find there are ample accommodation options located in Tain as well as in the surrounding area.
The area of Tain is a Scottish royal burgh, located in the committee area known as Ross and Cromarty. Tain is located on the A9 road that connects the south of Scotland with the far northern parts such as Caithness. Tain has a population of about three thousand nine hundred and seventy two.
The name Tain derives from the pre-Celtic name for the River Tain that is nearby but the origin is not actually known for definite.
Tain railway station is located on the line that covers the far north. The station at Tain is now unmanned however when it was a manned station it once employed about thirty members of staff. The railway station in Tain was opened on the 1st January 1864.
There are some notable buildings within the town and these include the church St Duthus Collegiate and also the Tain Tolbooth. The town of Tain also hosts a museum known as Tain Through Time and there is also the distillery that is used by Glenmorangie.
There is a strong educational network within the town of Tain and there are two primary schools and a secondary school. The primary schools are Craighill and Knockbreck. Craighill educates about three hundred and one pupils. The Royal Academy in the town is the secondary school and is responsible for educating about six hundred pupils.