Ledbury, located in Herefordshire, is situated east of Hereford. The area has been settled since ancient times. It is believed the town takes its name from the River Leadon, which is located nearby. Ledbury is also well known as having once been home to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, who spent a portion of her childhood in the local area. John Masefield was also born in the local area. While in the area, visitors should make sure they visit Eastnor Castle, a local landmark. Visitors will find the area is easily accessible through the main-line rail connection, which connects Ledbury to London.
The English town of Ledbury is located within the county of Herefordshire. The town of Ledbury is located to the east of Hereford and to the west of Malvern Hills. The town of Ledbury is actually an ancient burgh that dates back to the Domesday Book, however it was recorded as Liedeberge. The burgh was returned to the members of Parliament during the time of Edward the first. The town of Ledbury probably takes it name from the River Leadon as it stands on the banks of this river.
The town of Ledbury was once the home of the poet that was known as Elizabeth Barrett Browning, she spent her childhood at Hope End. The town is also the birthplace of the poet that was known as John Masefield and the secondary school is named after him. The high school within the town called John Masefield.
Nowadays the town of Ledbury is a thriving market town within rural England. The town is located on the main railway line that runs to London. The town of Ledbury features a vast number of buildings that built from timber and this is especially the case along Church Lane. The most notable buildings within the town include Eastnor Castle, parish church and also the Painted Room that contains frescoes dating back to the sixteenth century.
During 2003 the town won the competition that is known as Britain in Bloom under the small town category.
During 1798 the Gloucester and Hereford Canal was opened and this canal runs for Gloucester up as far as Ledbury passing through the lower parts of the town. The canal later closed during 1885 and this route was then used by Great Western Railways for the line that operates between Gloucester and Ledbury.