Grantown-on-Spey is located in the Scottish Highlands and is a popular area for individuals who want to enjoy the fabulous beauty that surrounds the Highlands. Cairngorms National Park is located nearby and is a popular attraction with visitors. There is also a golf club in the immediate area that is enjoyed by locals as well as those visiting the area who enjoy golfing. Visitors will also enjoy snowboarding and Skiing on Cairngorm Mountain. In addition, there are ample shopping and dining options in the immediate area as well as plenty of accommodation choices in Grantown-on-Spey.
Grantown-on-Spey is a town that is located within the area that is covered by the Highland Council in Scotland. This town was established in 1765 as a planned settlement beside the River Spey on the northern edge of the Cairngorm Mountains. The town is located about thirty-five miles south east of Inverness.
The town of Grantown-on-Spey has a population of about two thousand two hundred and thirty nine. The town is twinned with Notre-Dame-de-Monts, which is located in Vendee and also Pays-de-la-Loire, which is located in France.
There is a small museum within the town that is located on Burnfield Avenue and it is close to the car park. The town has three car parks in total that can be used free of charge. There are also a number of charges located within the town however none of these churches actually have a burial ground. The churches that are located in the town include the Church of Scotland, Baptist Church, Roman Catholic Church and the Episcopalian Church. There are two cemeteries that are local to the town and the Highland Council maintains both of these. These cemeteries are Inverallan and Grantown.
The town was originally part of the county of Moray however in the 1860's the town became a detached part of the county of Inverness-Shire. Between 1898 and 1975 the town was part of the Burgh of Morayshire however in 1975 it merged with the district of Badenoch and Strathspey.
The town was originally named Grantown after Sir James Grant, however the newly created burgh in 1898 added the Spey bit to the name.