Fakenham, located in Norfolk, is situated on the River Wensum. The town is located about 40 kilometers north west of Norwich. Although the town itself is relatively small, visitors will find that there is still plenty to see and do within the local vicinity. There are several landmarks that are worth seeing and there are also shopping and dining venues in Fakenham as well as in the immediate area. There are also plenty of accommodation options in Fakenham and the surrounding area as well. This is a great town to visit if you are looking for a relaxing place to unwind.
Fakenham is a civil parish town in Norfolk. The town is located on the River Wensum about thirty kilometres north east of Kings Lynn, about thirty kilometres south west of Cromer and about forty kilometres north west of Norwich.
The civil parish covers an area of about nine kilometres squared. The town of Fakenham has a population of about seven thousand three hundred and fifty seven, which occupy about three thousand two hundred and ninety two houses. The parish town falls within the district area of North Norfolk.
The name Fakenham dates back to the Saxon times and the word means fair place. The town of Fakenham is located on the banks of a fair river.
The first school within the town of Fakenham was the National School for Boys and this school was opened in 1839. The second school within the town of Fakenham was provided by the society of British schools and this school was built in 1844. In 1848 a national school for girls was opened within the town. A council school was built in 1913 on Queens Road. This new school was built to replace all of the earlier schools however the school was still split in boys and girls and there was also a separate infant within the school.
The school on Queens Road was converted into a modern primary and secondary school in 1944. The town was growing rapidly and this was putting pressure on the amount of space within the town. The modern secondary school was built in 1956 on Field Lane and this school actually opened in 1959.