Dr Johnson's House|
17 Gough Square, off Fleet Street, EC4
Nearest Tube: Blackfriars
Dr Samuel Johnson is the famous lexicographer who first published his Dictionary of the English Language in 1755. This publication forms the basis of dictionaries to this day.
Dr Johnson is also the source of the often-used quote "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life".
He lived in this house from 1749 to 1759 and it is the only surviving house out of the many that he resided in in London. Since 1914 it has been a museum of his life and work.
It contains prints, portraits, and examples of Dr Johnson's writings and you can see the room where he did much of the work on his dictionary, assisted by six clerks. There is also a first edition of Johnson's Dictionary, which gives an interesting comparison between Johnson's work and the definitions of the English language that went before it.
Dr Johnson's house is open daily except Sundays. Opening hours are from 10am-5.30pm May-September and from 11am-5pm October-April. Admission costs around £3 for adults.
Click here for other parts of east central London
Click here for other museums in London
Copyright © 1998 - 2008, Smooth Hound Systems
Page design by Smooth Hound Systems
Smooth Hound Systems accepts no liability with regards to the accuracy of the information on this site.
Users are advised to double check information such as dates, times, prices etc.