Sheerness Hotels: Sheerness, located in Kent, is situated on the mouth of the River Medway. The town originally began as fort in the 16th Century in order to protect the river from being invaded. Fortifications were strengthened in the 17th Century following a raid. The area became popular as a seaside resort during the 19th Century. Today, visitors will find there is still much to see and enjoy in the local area. Not only are there shops to browse, but there are also notable buildings as well as a variety of eating establishments. Visitors can choose from a range of accommodation options in the local area.
Book Sheerness hotels, Sheerness Bed and Breakfasts or other Sheerness accommodation below.
|World hotels > Europe > United Kingdom > Kent > |
|Phone: +44 (0)1795 665950
Fax: +44 (0)1795 661200
per room per night
The English town of Sheerness is located within the northern part of Kent at the mouth of River Medway. The town of Sheerness has a population that is about twelve thousand and it is actually one of the biggest towns on the Isle that is known as Sheppey. The town that is known as Sheerness actually started off as a base for a fort, which was built during the sixteenth century in order to protect the Medway River from any naval invasions. Later on in 16665 the first plans were laid out by the Naval board for use as a dockyard for the Royal Navy and the town went on to be the site for repairing naval ships and then later for building ships.
During the nineteenth century the town began to become popular as a tourist resort and this was assisted with the erection of a promenade and also a pier. The town of Sheerness however has retained its importance as an industrial town. The port that is in the town of Sheerness is actually the main location for the importing of fresh produce and even cars. The town has also been the home to the first building that was constructed using a metal frame.
The town of Sheerness was also home to four windmills and these were known as the Little Mill, Hundred Acre Mill, Great Mill and there is not very much known about the fourth windmill. The windmill that was known as Little Mill was a smock mill and it dated back to before 1813 and sadly it was burnt down in 1862 on the 7th February. The windmill that is known as Hundred Acre was a small mill tower and this one was lasted used during 1872 and it was later demolished during 1878 however there is still a base where it once stood and this can still be seen today. The windmill that was known, as the Great Mill was also a smock mill and the work was start on the mill during 1813 and it was completed during 1816 however this mill was demolished during 1924.
We hope you enjoy your stay in one of our cheap Sheerness hotels, mid range or luxury Sheerness hotels.