Castle AcreGrosmont, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Telephone: 01981 241078 Fax: 01981 240874
|Castle Acre nestles between the 12th century church and the 11th century castle of Grosmont, in the heart of this beautiful and unique village,set high above the Monnow valley, with views in every direction.|
Castle Acre is a most attractive house of great charm, originally a coach house and stables, which was imaginatively and sympathetically converted in the 1970s using original period materials.The house has been extended recently in the same vein to give a larger kitchen and an additional bedroom.
|Sue Gill is a garden designer and is planning to start on the garden soon, although the existing garden will keep us happy in the meantime. You may have visited her amazing garden at Great Campston which she made from scratch over 19 years, visited by thousands of people during that time. Castle Acre garden is a new challenge " a Garden in the Making" watch this space! |
The local countryside offers fantastic views and some of the best walking country in the UK. Including Offa's Dyke path, the Black mountains and the Brecon Beacons. There are two other castles close by, Skenfrith Castle and White Castle which together form the Three Castles Walk. The whole area is an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Grosmont is almost equidistant between Abergavenny Monmouth and Hereford, all have places of interest to visit. The area is well supplied with pubs and restaurants including the famous Bell and Walnut Tree, but there is a wide choice.
There are two double rooms with en suite bathrooms available the Yellow room and the Terracotta room, one overlooking the church and the other overlooking the castle.The garden provides total seclusion from the village.
With views to the church
With views to the castle
With views to the castle
|From the East (England M4)|
From the North (M5)
- Take the M4 to the Severn Bridge
- you will need £4.60 ready to cross the bridge in this direction - free on leaving Wales!
- Continue along the M4 to Junction 24.
- Turn right under the motorway taking the A449 to Monmouth and The Midlands.
- Take the second exit off the A449 (approx 12-13 miles) marked Abergavenny.
- Carry on the A40 for about 9 miles (dual carriageway)
- At a large double roundabout outside Abergavenny.
- Take the A465 to HEREFORD and continue for about 6 miles towards Hereford.
- Pass 2 large signs on the left to Llanfihangel Crucorney and
- Take the next turning to the right marked GROSMONT.
- Follow this road for 6 miles until turning to the right marked "Grosmont and castle"
- Right at T junction into village.
- Continue down village street until you reach the shop on the right with turning opposite to castle on left.
- (Look for "Grosmont and castle" sign on left opposite the shop)
- Turn left up towards the castle then the gateway to Castle Acre is on the right
- Take the M50 at the end turn left towards Ross
- Straight over next roundabout.
- At the next roundabout turn right for Hereford
- Follow that road several miles, turn left for Abergavenny
- Continue on this road until you get to Skenthrith
- Through village 1 mile
- Turn right to Grosmont up hill to village
- Look for "Grosmont and castle" sign on right opposite the shop.
- Turn up towards the castle and the gateway is the only one on the right
- From Hereford take the A 465 Abergavenny road to Pontrilas.
- Turn left into Pontrilas itself then right signposted to Kentchurch B4347.
- After about a mile
- turn right over the river Monnow
- and follow the road to the village of Grosmont.
- Look for "Grosmont and castle" sign on left opposite the shop.
- Turn up towards the castle and the gateway is the only one on the right.
£40 per person per night
Tel: 01981 241 078
Fax: 01981 240 874
Why not visit the Castle Acre home page?
Copyright © 2007 to 2012, Castle Acre
Page design by Smooth Hound Systems